Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Day 45

It's day 45, which puts me halfway through my original 90 trial run with zero carb. I actually don't see myself stopping or adding carbs any time soon. I will probably go at least six months before deciding whether to make this permanent. My feeling at this time is that I probably will make it permanent.

Yesterday was another hungry day. I wasn't real hungry early but had a small short rib and a cheesestick because I was going to mow the lawn. It's a three hour ordeal with my crummy lawn so I didn't want to run out of energy halfway through.

I was beat after mowing. I was hungry and craving carbs. I ended up having several bites of full fat cottage cheese. It is four grams of carbs per serving but I didn't have a full servings' worth.

I had picked up some ribs on clearance Sunday morning and they had been marinating over night. The ribs were a chunk of baby back ribs and also some thin cut ribs that were cut across the bone. I am not sure what the particular cut is called but they looked like big strips of bacon with four oval bone chunks.

I had marinated them in my "Crying Tiger" mix.

Marinade:

1/2 cup fish sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground pepper
4 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce or Golden Mountain sauce
3 tablespoons peanut oil

I grilled the back ribs until the meat was 150 gedrees. The "beef bacon" was grilled two minutes per side. With ribs, I turn the two outside burners to high and turn off the middle burner. I grill the meat in the middle over the unheated burner.

The "beef bacon" ribs were awesome. They were still quite rare and very, very fatty. I had to stop myself at four as I could easily have eaten all of them. The back ribs were also very good but not as good as the rib strips.

For dinner, I grilled up burgers and hot dogs, Even though I didn't think I was very hungry, I ended up eating three cheeseburgers and three hot dogs (less than a gram of carbs per dog). I also ended up drinking about 32 oz of ice tea during the BBQ. All of this was after 7 pm, so it was a pretty late dinner.

Probably because of the huge dinner, I was up 2.6 pounds, to 186.8. The weird thing is that last week my khaki shorts were tight at this weight. Today, I put them on freshly laundered and they fit fine and weren't tight at all. I don't know where the almost three pounds is but I am not too worried about it.

No comments: