Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 58

I wasn't hungry yesterday in the morning, so I went out with K to do our shopping without eating. While picking up our piles of meat (80/20 hamburger for $1.58 a pound), I found a one pound package of pork belly strips on markdown for $1 and decided to pick it up to have for lunch when we got home.

The pork belly strips are basically uncured bacon. I decided to try cooking it in the oven at 400 degrees on a cookie sheet. To avoid splatter, I put them on a rack in the sheet. I think this ended up being a mistake, though, as it didn't brown except for a few spots where it sagged through the rack and touched the grease. I am a little leery about getting too much grease splattering around in the oven since it is a gas stove.

The pork belly was good anyway. I have really been liking spicy brown mustard (zero carbs) on meat lately and it worked well with these. I ended up eating about three quarters of the package.

I wasn't hungry again 'til dinner. Dinner was baked chicken thighs. I talked K into leaving the skin on and it made a world of difference in flavor. They were very good and I ended up eating four of them.

Another day of no dairy. No beef either, though it didn't seem to make much of a difference as I was down a pound this morning, to 184.0. That is my lowest since going zero carb and brings the total lost to 15.6 pounds in about eight weeks.

No comments: